Phoenix, AZ: $750,000 cash bail has been set for the man accused of fatally shooting two bounty hunters, court records show.

Nicholas Malicki, 23, faces two counts of first-degree murder and one count of possessing a weapon when prohibited from doing so. Malicki was arrested Thursday. 

A preliminary hearing has been set for April 29.

Malicki has a criminal history that includes drug violations in 2009 and in 2011, according to court records. 

He received probation for both.

David Brickert, 37, and Wesley Kampen, 39, were shot dead Monday night near a Phoenix apartment complex when they went to apprehend a fugitive who skipped bail, police said.

Anthony Giunta, 25, resisted arrest and sustained injuries to his face, police said. As the agents escorted Giunta out of the apartment, they were surrounded by a large crowd of Giunta’s friends and family, who became upset at seeing his face injured.

Giunta yelled at “the crowd to shoot them,” police said.

Police said Malicki is believed to have pulled a semiautomatic weapon from his back pants pocket and circled behind Brickert and Kampen and shot them at close range.

Giunta and Malicki then ran in opposite directions after the shooting with Malicki fleeing in a vehicle driven by a woman, police said.

Police later that evening arrested Giunta, who was hiding in another Phoenix apartment unit, holding two adult men at bay. 

Those men were uninjured.

Giunta on Wednesday identified Malicki as the shooter via a photograph, police said. Other witnesses also had pointed to Malicki as the shooter, police said.

Police received information that Malicki was attempting to get money to leave the area. Detectives also received information that Malicki was hiding out at a Phoenix residence at 29th Avenue.

Police on Thursday set up surveillance on the residence and saw Malicki leave with three other individuals in a vehicle. 

The officers stopped the vehicle at 25th Avenue and Cactus Road and arrested Malicki, who was sitting in the backseat.

Malicki had $500 in cash on him, police said. He initially told police he was not at the scene of the shooting but later said he rode off on a bicycle after seeing Giunta’s face and heard the shooting.

Malicki said he never owned a .40-caliber handgun and claimed he was being framed by witnesses, police said.

Police said they have not recovered the handgun used in the shooting or the handgun taken from one of the bounty hunters after the murders.